Posted August 10, 2021
Job Title: Public Relations Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt*
Reports to: Media & Marketing Director
Salary Range: $40,000 - $45,000
The Public Relations Manager is responsible for day-to-day media relations activities and outreach efforts. This position works directly with travel editors, writers and influencers and collaboratively develops editorial content for Visit Clarksville publications and website. This position is also the primary manager of Visit Clarksville’s website database (CRM.)
- Initiate and foster strong and positive media relations on behalf of Visit Clarksville.
- Positively and accurately represent Visit Clarksville at media events and tradeshows.
- Maintain a database of media contacts.
- Collaborate to manage media inquiries, in-market writer and blogger visits, interview requests, and public speaking opportunities.
- Maintain Visit Clarksville news and information on various media platforms and TN Dept. of Tourism Development website.
- Develop and oversee the design of pitching sheets, print and online press kit materials, and other media assets as needed.
- Communicate events and other leisure information to the community via contributed articles, radio interviews, email communications and website content.
- Track and report monthly earned media value.
- Stay abreast of public relations travel and tourism trends, tools, and opportunities.
Website & Email Marketing
- Maintain the Visit Clarksville CRM database and event calendar; assist with maintenance of website CMS and development of new content.
- Assist with the development of email newsletters to consumer audiences.
Marketing & Content
- Collaborate with the Media & Marketing Director, Vice President, and Visit Clarksville Staff on various marketing efforts and events.
- Assist with the development of blog and sponsored content as needed.
- Assist with asset management, including owned, produced and user-generated photography, video and editorial and advertorial content.
- Serve as backup administrator for all Visit Clarksville social media channels, as needed.
- Promote goodwill toward Visit Clarksville among the community and tourism partners.
- Maintain an ongoing awareness of partners, events, stories, and personalities and the important issues with the local and national media, as well as local issues impacting tourism.
- Maintain monthly public relations reports.
- Proofread materials.
- Attend industry conferences, tradeshows and community events as assigned.
- Assist with writing, proofing, editing and updating annual Travel Planner and other publications and digital content.
- Provide support to the Visit Clarksville Vice President and Staff as requested.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Media relations and varied experience with all types of writing assignments
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills
- Must be a strategic thinker and a proven self-starter able to support achievement of organizational goals
- Must work effectively independently and with a team
- Attention to detail, accuracy and quality
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Multi-task oriented
- Ability to proactively meet deadlines
- Social media management experience is beneficial
- Basic HTML and/or website content management systems are a plus
- Basic graphic design, photography/video and photo editing skills are a plus
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in English, Journalism, Communications or Public Relations required.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of work in the field of public relations or communications.
- This employee may experience long periods of sitting or standing. Employee will be required to work both inside and outside an office setting, perform evening and weekend work, attend special programs and events, and travel. This work may involve public appearances.
Email a cover letter, resume, and a variety of writing samples (or portfolio link) to email@example.com by September 3, 2021.
*Exempt employees are not subject to wage and hour laws and therefore not compensated for overtime hours.