Posted February 7, 2024
Job Title: Director of Tourism Sales
Visit Clarksville is currently hiring for the Director of Tourism-Sales position. This position is responsible for working with all sales markets within CVB sales, to include SMERF, group tour, government and state associations. The ideal candidate is familiar with DMO sales, and has possibly had hotel sales experience. This position requires someone who is comfortable in sales and asking planners for the business; Being able to work around objections and prove to the planners that we have the solution to the problem they have, which is where to have their next meeting. Being a team player, possessing a high level of customer service skills and being comfortable around people is required.
Position: Director of Tourism Sales
FLSA status: Exempt*
Reports to: Executive Director, Convention & Visitors Bureau
Internal Customers: President & CEO, EDC; Executive Director, Chamber of Commerce; Executive Director, Industrial Development Board; Director of Media Communications; Director of Finance & Administration
Visit Clarksville Mission
The Clarksville-Montgomery County Convention & Visitors Bureau exists to positively influence tourism in the Clarksville-Montgomery County (CMC) area by promoting tourist attractions, hosting conventions and group tours, and engaging in large-scale marketing efforts. *In 2015, the organization adopted the Visit Clarksville brand.
Director of Tourism Sales will oversee and execute all strategies to increase sales in all markets (SMERF, Group Tour, state government and state associations), via trade shows, direct sales and familiarization tours. The Director of Tourism – Sales will manage all aspects of recruiting and booking small market meetings, group tour/motorcoach, reunions, etc. All work will be a direct reflection of serving our mission statement.
- Recruit social, military, educational, religious and fraternal groups to host their meetings, conferences, reunions and social groups in Clarksville, TN.
- Recruit state government and state association groups to host their meetings/trainings in Clarksville, TN.
- Responsible for creation/implementation of itineraries that will attract group tour groups/motorcoaches and/or work with tour receptive with these groups.
- Conduct daily sales calls with prospective and returning clients and groups.
- Plan, Execute and Follow up with familiarization (FAM) tours as well as site visits as needed.
- Work in conjunction with Sr. Director of Marketing and Media for any collateral needed for sales purposes.
- Understand the hotel product available and the meeting venues in Clarksville, TN.
- Develop working relationships with hoteliers, attractions and venue contacts.
- Be aware of what products the community has to offer to groups, i.e. attractions, restaurants that cater/can accommodate large groups.
- Responsible for budgetary needs of specific activities.
- Practice fiscal responsibility of items included within specific budget line items.
- Responsible for ensuring information pertaining to sales on VisitClarksvilleTN.com is accurate, correct and up-to-date.
- As needed: act as representative of the Executive Director in meetings, committees and community functions.
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable with public speaking and making presentations.
- Excellent customer service and relationship building skills.
- Successful at problem solving.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- Self-starter and able to work independently, when needed.
- Team-player and collaborator internally and externally.
- Highly organized.
- Word processing skills, database/spreadsheet proficiency.
- Event/Volunteer detail and management skills – preferable.
- Graduation from high school required.
- Minimum three (3) years of hotel/destination sales experience.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Personal vehicle required.
- College graduate – preferred.
- Other specialized training, i.e. CMP certification – preferred.
- 5+ years previous sales experience – preferred.
*Exempt employees are not subject to wage &hour laws and therefore not compensated for overtime hours.
About Clarksville-Montgomery County, TN
Named the #1 Best Place to Live in America by Money.com in 2019, Clarksville, Tennessee is historic, charming, and rich in scenic beauty, with abundant outdoor recreation and a thriving business climate! Located in Montgomery County, Tennessee, a short 40 minutes from the honky-tonk of Nashville, Clarksville is a historic riverfront suburb unmistakably on the rise. Home to the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell and the fastest growing university in the state — Austin Peay State University. Clarksville is a young patriotic community full of opportunities with a median age of only 31.
An exceptional quality of life, excellent business climate, and quality schools are all reasons to visit and stay in Montgomery County, TN.
Quality of life is exceptional — with the area's rich history and experiences, including a homegrown winery, local distillery and plenty of family fun. Clarksville Montgomery County boasts 34 public parks, 5 swimming pools, 6 golf courses, 9 tennis courts, 2 movie theatres and 3 community centers. The downtown district contains one-of-a-kind eateries, retail, entertainment and is an idyllic spot to experience southern charm and hospitality.
Quality schools and affordable living options make the area a great place to raise a family. The award-winning public-school system, Clarksville-Montgomery County School System (CMCSS) has a 93% graduation rate (2021) and eleven reward schools recognized for performing in the top 5% of the state. Three local higher education options provide plentiful educational opportunities at Austin Peay State University, Nashville State Community College - Clarksville Campus and the Tennessee College of Applied Technology's Clarksville campus.
New developments in the community are thriving — including the $115 million, 5,000 seat F&M
Bank Arena Multipurpose venue in the heart of downtown Clarksville adjoined by a $50 million, 4-acre retail development plus, a 40,000 square foot Conference Center near the area's medical district to include a hotel, office space, and additional retail and dining options.
All of that, coupled with a friendly community — it's no wonder people who have experienced the small-town charm and classic hometown America feel of Clarksville Montgomery County put down roots.
Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.