Purchased by Stephen Cole, a former slave, in 1863, the property of Golden Hill Cemetery is believed to be the oldest tract of land continuously owned by African-Americans in Montgomery County. It is the location of the graves of Dr. Robert T. Burt and Emma Burt. Golden Hill Cemetery is a historic African-American cemetery and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Many gravestones in both Golden Hill and Evergreen cemeteries were designed by Hiram Johnson, an African-American stone mason and sculptor who was exceptionally talented and eventually went blind from his occupation. He apprenticed with and then worked for Samuel Hodgson, owner of Clarksville Marble Works. Evergreen Cemetery borders Golden Hill Cemetery.