Burt Cobb Recreation Center

1011 Franklin Street, Clarksville, TN 37040

(931) 472-3381


Burt-Cobb Recreation Center is just a short distance from the original location of Bailey Cobb Elementary, which was located at the intersection of Tenth and Franklin Streets. The school originally opened in 1879 and didn't receive an official name until 1951 when it was termed Bailey Cobb School, named after a professor who taught there. It was one of Clarksville's only segregated schools for African-Americans at the time. The original building was demolished, and the Burt-Cobb Recreation Center tells the story.